Wednesday, June 5, 2013

French Radish

Last week I started some seedlings for my garden:

French Radish
Iceberg Lettuce
Asian Spinach
Okra

The French Radish are sprouting like mad. They will transplanted into the garden sooner than any of the other seedlings. For this blog, I am going to discuss how to grow and eat French Radish.

These radishes are oblong, with a white base fading into a pink cap. They can grow up to three inches in length. One blogger recommends planting them with beets because the Radishes are harvested in just a few weeks, while the beets take much longer. Apparently the roots do not spit open as much as other round radish roots. The French Breakfast radish was introduced in 1879, and was popular in the Parisian Farmer markets. From my experience, these babies are very easy to grow.

I have no idea why it is called Breakfast Radish, I would never eat one of these for breakfast. But, they do look great for a stir fry, hor d'eurve or side dish. There are many online recipes for glazed radish, and sauteed radish. I do not know what works, but when harvest time comes around I will share my recipes.


No comments:

Post a Comment