Saturday, July 28, 2012

Washington State Blackberries Are Coming In

It is late July, for all of you living in Western Washington you know what that means. Blackberry season is coming! I took the boys down to the Marina yesterday with the double stroller. There are many more blackberry bushes in this area than where I lived last year. I say only five ripe berries, the rest of them were green. I would give it a few more weeks and blackberry season is here!



I think that I will be able to pick three times more berries than I did last year. Canning them is going to take a lot of work. 


In four days I will be going to San Francisco with my husband and his family. I love that city so much! When I return, I will take another walk around the blackberry bushes to see if it is time to start picking. 


Last year I sold mason jars of blackberry cobbler filling, blackberry jam and jelly. This year I am going to change things a bit. I am going to make the following:


Blackberry Cobbler Filling
Blackberry Jelly
Blackberry Syrup (for pancakes, waffles, etc)


Making Blackberry Jam is not that easy. I had trouble with the pecin last year so I decided not to do it this year. I am also going to publish simple recipes for blackberry cobbler. 


See you in a few weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment